Book review written by: Cathy DiBella (Guest Blogger)
Most of my family is gone now and the ones that are left are distant to say the least. Through all my years in a dysfunctional family, I have felt rejected many times!
As a motherless daughter and a facilitator in the Motherless Daughters Ministry of “The Emotionally Absent Mother” and the “Daughters of the Narcissistic Mother“ classes, I am always looking for good books and materials to help me grow and heal, as well as possibly build upon in working with the women I serve. The book Uninvited by Lysa TerKeurst was one of those books.
This book has opened my eyes to so much truth. I feel like Lysa TerKeurst wrote it just for me. I’m amazed at the way it has touched my life both personally, as well as answered so many questions about the way I feel, how I can help myself, and how I should pray for healing.
So, if you’ve ever felt rejected by anyone, this book could help shed some light on such a situation. I believe, as you read through it, you’ll feel like you are sitting in the room with Lysa and just having a heart to heart conversation with her.
Let’s explore this book a little more deeply…
Lysa leans in to honestly examine the roots of rejection, as well as rejection’s ability to poison relationships from the inside out, including our relationship with God.
With biblical depth, gut-honest vulnerability, and refreshing wit, Lysa helps you:
- Stop feeling left out by believing that even when you are overlooked by others you are “handpicked by God.”
- Change your tendency to either fall apart or control the actions of others by embracing God-honoring ways to process your hurt.
- Know exactly what to pray for the next ten days to steady your soul and restore your confidence in the midst of rejection.
- Overcome the two core fears that feed your insecurities by understanding the secret of belonging.
Uninvited reminds us, chapter by chapter, that we are destined for a love that can never be diminished, tarnished, shaken, or taken – a love that does not reject or “uninvite.”
- CHAPTER 1: I’d Rather Ignore Honesty
- CHAPTER 2: Three Questions We Must Consider
- CHAPTER 3: There’s a Lady at the Gym Who Hates Me
- CHAPTER 4: Alone in a Crowded Room
- CHAPTER 5: Hello, My Name is “Trust Issues”
- CHAPTER 6: Friendship Breakups
- CHAPTER 7: When Our “Normal” Gets Snatched
- CHAPTER 8: The Corrective Experience
- CHAPTER 9: Why Does Rejection Hurt So Much?
- CHAPTER 10: Her Success Does Not Threaten Mine
- CHAPTER 11: Ten Things You Must Remember When Rejected
- CHAPTER 12: The Enemy’s Plan Against You
- CHAPTER 13: Miracles in the Mess
- CHAPTER 14: Moving Through the Desperate In-Between
- CHAPTER 15: I Want to Run Away
- CHAPTER 16: What I Thought Would Fix Me Didn’t
At the end the book, Lysa gives:
- A positive declaration for your life
- A few exercises to help you work through what she has explained and explored
- The bonus of all the wonderful quotes she uses in the book, as well as all the wonderful scripture used to secure the truth of who we truly are and who we truly were created to be
“God’s love isn’t based on me. It’s simply placed on me. And it’s the place from which I should live . . . loved.” ~ Lysa TerKeurst
“Rejection steals the best of who I am by reinforcing the worst of what’s been said to me.” ~ Lysa TerKeurst