“People become great when they commit to something bigger than themselves” ~ Rick Warren
I consider Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church, one of my spiritual mentors. He often touches me when I need a wake-up call or gives me a confirmation that I am doing what God wants me to do. This particular series, “Daring to Commit,” reminds me to give thanks and gratitude for the support of the numerous women who volunteer in the Motherless Daughters Ministry in so many ways. There are blog writers, website administrators, board members, facilitators, group leaders, financial donors, event organizers, Facebook writers, and the list goes on and on. This ministry exists because they have “Dared to Commit” their time, their talents, and their financial gifts to the ministry and helping motherless daughters all over the world.
Rick Warren goes on to say that when we make a commitment it must –
- Unite us with others in worship
- Connect us with others in fellowship
- Must learn and grow from others
- Must be willing to serve with others in ministry
Every year we celebrate and recognize the volunteers and donors who have given so much. At the last recognition, we asked them to write their thoughts and answers to a series of questions.
Here are a few of their responses.
#1 WHAT IS THE INITIAL REASON YOU BEGAN VOLUNTEERING OR DONATING TO THE MDM?
- Because I saw what a blessing it was to other women
- Being called and wanting to help other women.
- After “needing a mother,” God gave me friends to answer the need.
- I received so much from this ministry; healing, forgiveness, self-reflection. I feel passionate about giving back to this ministry.
- I want other women to know they are not alone, and they can move forward.
#2 WHAT IS THE BEST EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE HAD WORKING WITH THE MDM?
- The best part of the MDM is meeting all of the awesome people.
- Lifelong connections with other participants and facilitators.
- Helping women face the courage to change.
- Sharing with other women to know we are not alone.
- Watching the transformation in women from one week to the next in the Journey class.
- I absolutely loved the retreat (2016).
#3 WHAT ARE THE TIMES WHEN YOU JUST KNEW GOD WAS PRESENT IN YOUR WORK WITH THE MDM?
- Each time I healed another layer I knew God was present.
- When I got answers to questions and prayers that I asked 20-30 years ago.
- When I felt the Holy Spirit prompt me to say the right thing.
- To see the glow in the eyes of my spouse.
- When I saw women in the program being transformed.
- Watching women find forgiveness and freedom.
- Watching the connections being formed and watching the “light bulb moments.”
#4 WHAT GIFTS HAVE YOU RECEIVED AS YOU HAVE HELPED OTHERS?
- Love, support, guidance, friendship, forgiveness and gratitude.
- More grace and mercy to keep giving of myself.
- Love, acceptance, and grace.
- The ability to lead others to change their life is a gift.
- Encouragement, relationships with other women with similar experiences.
- Peace, love, knowing it is all a part of God’s plan.
- A sense of community as well as inner growth.
#5 HOW HAVE YOU CHANGED?
- Closer relationships with God, women. Not angry anymore.
- Feel more competent leading women. Able to push myself out of my comfort zone more easily.
- Knowing God is in control of healing.
- Confident, more prayerful before opening my mouth. Better listener. Listening to God’s direction.
- Realized everything that happens, there is a reason, and I’ve changed by realizing His hope and His promise.
- Closer relationship with God, understanding the loss.
- Amazed to watch God’s healing always manifesting.
#6 WHAT ARE THE GREATEST CHALLENGES YOU HAVE HAD IN YOUR ROLE?
- Time Management.
- Wanting to help participants see the obvious before they are ready to.
- Breakthroughs are in God’s timing.
- Healing myself and others.
- Trusting in and through the process of growth.
- Finding the time.
#7 WHAT HAVE OTHERS SEEN OR SAID ABOUT YOU AND HOW YOU HELP WOMEN?
- Passionate, selfless listener and strong message to share.
- Listening and supporting
- Understanding heart
- Love that I love this ministry so much and helping women.
- An answer to prayer.
- They see my passion to be the “light at the end of the tunnel.”
They went on to summarize the real story of the Motherless Daughters Ministry.
This is the Story of Us
We take broken women who are hurting, and with the Holy Spirit’s help, we love on them, listen to them, and give them confidence to heal. We create a safe place that is open to listening and not judging. We are real and authentic conquerors who are God’s hands here on earth. We are stronger together. To other women, we have a story to tell, and they have a story to tell us. Our message is “You are not alone.”
When we work together, we can maximize our impact, minimize our failures, and mobilize our resources. Want to be a part of our volunteers? Go to email@example.com .
Thanks to all those who dare to commit to helping motherless women all over the world.
2 replies on “Daring to Commit”
Thanks so much for sharing this!
You are so welcome. I just love all of these women. I am blessed to walk with them.